My own personal rant zone

I set up this place so I can mostly talk about Tabletop Gaming...but occasionally some other stuff too...

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Fundable.com sure sounds interesting.

OK, I just came across a discussion on:

The Godlike RPG GM Screen

Seems like Arc Dream doesn't have enough cash on hand to get this thing printed, so they are asking people to pay up front in a no risk environment. Have a glance at the link for the actual deal.
So, I know Hex and Counter wargames have done something like this for years, but it is the technology involved that intrigues me. Not only that it makes it so easy to "put your money where your mouth is" but that if not enough other people do ...no harm no foul..no extra paperwork. Refunding money need not be done by the publisher.
So what if this got popular enough? Say someone who owned the rights to your favorite game was willing to bring some never to be published supplements for it, proposed this kind of offer to you. Would you do it? Of course this same product could be a brand new game, from a place like The Forge.

I can think of a few games, or miniatures I would jump at the chance.

3 Comments:

At 8:35 PM, Blogger Brian I said...

I saw the article - very interesting comment. From what I gather, it differs from other "pledge" style offerings is that the product isn't free after it's hit the pledge price ... instead, everyone who pledges gets a copy, and then the product goes to retailers as well.

Seems to be a key difference, as you get around they "Why should I pay, when I can let Mike pay, and I just get it for free" ;)

Interesting concept. I hope Wild Talents is next.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Brian I said...

What?!?! It's PDF?

That suxxor ... what a stupid way to go.

Ahem.

Sorry ... I just wanted to get a jump on the bitchiness.

I'm just find with the PDF-ness actually. ;)

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Chris Hanrahan said...

Guys, they are proposing a printed GM screen, if they hit enough funds to do it....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home