My own personal rant zone

I set up this place so I can mostly talk about Tabletop Gaming...but occasionally some other stuff too...

Saturday, May 13, 2006

True20...

I have finally had some down time to read through some of my True20. I like it. I am not terribly good at writing reviews that spotlight mechanics at all, as the rules tend to drop right out of my head as I read them. So, what I will simply say is that the main appeal this book has for me is the rules look like they will "step out of the way in favor of story." As you read this, there will be an episode of the Ogrecave Audio Report ready for your listening pleasure. There, I discuss play style vs. rules. My personal case against D20 is how structured the rules set becomes...there are some mechanics that just plain need to be there, and man do I trip over them. True 20 seems to remove a lot of the crunch, and allow for rules to flavor the structure of the game you are playing...but not overwhelm it.

All in all a big thumbs up.

Oh, and if this doesn't make sense, have a listen to the podcast taped April 13, 2006, I think it will make things a little clearer.

2 Comments:

At 5:39 PM, Blogger Brian I said...

I've very much enjoying True20, and look forward to giving it a try in actual play as well.

Classy book.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Chris Hanrahan said...

Well if you ever run it, count me in. If I could pull together a group, I would be seriously tempted to try World of Aldea...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home