My own personal rant zone

I set up this place so I can mostly talk about Tabletop Gaming...but occasionally some other stuff too...

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Things you learn owning a Game Store

Things you learn owning a Game Store

My store has lots and lots of dedicated play space. Maybe more than most in the area. We run weekly events, and also some special ones too. One of the hardest things to get off the ground is a new event. We find that it takes at least two months if it is a weekly event, and maybe longer if it occurs only occasionally. Maybe this is because we have a very dense amount of stores in the area..maybe it's how people handle their personal schedules. And really, that's the point of the post. I always feel bad when we run an event that draws one person. They end up by sitting around, and essentially wasting their time. I see it an entirely different way, as they are there showing _other people_ who have showed up for other reasons, something they are interested in. I am clear this takes some amount of social skills and willingness to talk to strangers...and that isn't easy for some gamers...but I think I am digressing.

I think the thing that bums me out the most, and which doesn't always motivate me to push for new and different events is this conversation:

Person: "yeah, wow..I wish we had more people here."
Me: "I agree, but we continue to push people to our forums, help schedule the events, and make the introductions for like minded people..."
Person: "Yeah, I know, I just wish we had more people."

At which point it's clear they are looking to me to solve that problem. Sadly, I have no more control over people's free time, or choice of how they are using it than..well, they do. I always wish I could magically make eight people show up to sanction the magic event, I always wish there was a fourth person to play that second game of 40k...but sometimes that just isn't in the cards, and someone is disappointed. I totally understand it...don't get me wrong. I wanna jump up and down and clarify how much of my week goes to marketing initiatives...but really, that's not the right thing to do. So I smile and try and comfort...question is, who does that for me ;)

I suppose thats what blogs are for, hunh?

2 Comments:

At 8:12 AM, Blogger Gary Ray said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Gary Ray said...

Ok, it's 16 months later, but I now totally understand what you're talking about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home