My own personal rant zone

I set up this place so I can mostly talk about Tabletop Gaming...but occasionally some other stuff too...

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Time to reflect...

Ya know, I don't say things like this enough, but it is sure a good time to be a gamer. I realized this the other afternoon as I was forcing myself to sit and look at my free time. I am one of those people that has FAR more interests than time, and occasionally I just like to sit and think about where my free time is going, and if I am using it in a way that makes me happy. Yeah, I was doing that thing again where I had WAY too much to do, little time to do it, so hence...i was doing none of it. So, I think I am down to focusing on the following hobbies in my (sad little) life:

1. Painting and building more minis. I have been doing this since I was a kid, and when I don't make it an obligation to myself, I have a blast. I am not bad at it, but am such a perfectionist, that I am SUPER slow. I am working to get over that, get some paint on the minis, and get some games in.

2. Reading more RPGs. I hate rules. I really do. I am always the jackass at the game who is a great role-player, but gets totally stymied once actual mechanics get involved. If I could get myself in a place to actually enjoy reading RPGs (even the rules parts of them), I think I would enjoy that aspect of gaming even more. So, that's on the list.

3. Work on Photography again. I have an awesome Digital SLR...I need to use it more...

So, I started this off by saying that this is a great time to be a gamer...then went on this rant about free time. Why? Because there is SO much out there right now. On the short list of minis games, if I had time for them all, I would be playing: Infinity, Warmachine (and the upcoming Hordes), Battletech and Starship Troopers. I currently have some of that on my painting table at home, and am trying my hardest not to have some of all of it there. Each of those games really hits me in different places. I wanna play them all! I can't think of another time in my gaming "career" that there have been that many good options...
In terms of Role-Playing...hot damn. I am in an every other week game, and we are jumping into the Iron Kingdoms. But heck, look at all the variety now: Dogs in the Vineyard, Iron Heros, Mountain WItch, Mutants and Masterminds. The inner unwashed geek in me just wants to throw a hallelujah out!

And that list only scratches the surface...what a GREAT time to be a gamer. I don't think I say stuff like that enough...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home