My own personal rant zone

I set up this place so I can mostly talk about Tabletop Gaming...but occasionally some other stuff too...

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Two down, some to go...

Well for now anyway. I am deep in the middle of Convention season. We were at the The Shield Conference from 2/10 - 2/12, then out at Dundracon from 2/17 - 2/20. On 3/3 we have a small Independent Warhammer Fantasy Battle Tourney (small meaning 80 players) that we are sponsoring in San Francisco. On the heals of that I head off to the Gama "Trade Show" (airquotes in full effect.) And finally our own RPG.net Mini Con on April Fool's Day.

Yeah.

To add a cherry on that Sunday, Yesterday, I spent a majority of my day preparing events for Kublacon on Memorial Day Weekend. I am a little conned out at this point...and there isn't really an eye to this storm coming up. My con experiences are generally a great source of amusement to the people I know, because I never seem to get a single game in, but have organized at least a hand-full of tournaments at each one I attend. I think at Dundracon I left at 7pm Saturday, and was out the backdoor loading dock right on the nose at 5.30pm Sunday. It's funny. I was talking with another store owner who was just attending the con rather than working at it. I asked her if she was planning on playing in any games. She told me that she found herself to be too much of a distraction during games. (After a brief moment of fearing I had managed to jump into a decent sized social faux pax somehow) She told me that she couldn't sit down at a table for 5 mins without someone coming up and wanting to talk to her. She didn't feel it was fair to the other players to have the game interrupted that often.

Hmm. That what was weird about DDC for me this year. Melly helped me nail it. See, I am only slightly an extrovert. If you are a fan of the Myers Briggs Personality testtm, you should know I am only 6 points into my "E." I am pretty happy being around people, and then all of a sudden, I need to hide and recharge my batteries. When I am at a local con, I don't get that luxury. I have been working at a fairly popular store long enough now that I constantly run into people. Honestly, I am flattered that they wanna know what I think of the show, and want to tell me a little about what they are doing there. The only negative effect is, between the dealers room for 8 hours, and trips through the common areas, I am constantly in front of people. Sunday, I started to use the service hallways to stay out of the common areas, and left through them when it was time to go home. That may sound really ostentatious, but man was I a little more rested Sunday, than I was Saturday. Anywho, I suppose the main body of this post, is you learn something new about yourself all the time. I now really understand how my retailer position is going to affect my mental con preparations for the next foreseeable future. I love going to them, and now I know I just need to hide for a little while.

On a whole nother note, the game I saw played oodles at Dundra, was Battletstations. It got me interested in trying it. We shall see if I can make the time, considering the volume of games I have picked up of late...but we'll save that for the next post.

3 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger Brian I said...

Ha! There is no Battlestations for you ...

... until we play either Starmada X or Federation Commander. ;)

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Chris Hanrahan said...

I have a few people interested in FC too, so yes Mr. FOE 3, sir...

 
At 6:00 PM, Blogger Paul Tevis said...

I really hoped I'd be able to make it up for the Mini Con, but it looks like that's not going to happen. On the bright side, I can confirm that Battlestations is an excellent game. In fact, I'm off to go run a session right now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home