My own personal rant zone

I set up this place so I can mostly talk about Tabletop Gaming...but occasionally some other stuff too...

Thursday, June 29, 2006

Time for some props giving...

I really haven't read them yet (and have no idea when I will), but dayum. The folks at Battlefront, who produce Flames of War have sent out their "freebee set of rules" for the 2nd edition of the game. What they have decided to do is give anyone and everyone who owns a first edition set of rules, a trade paperback sized set of the new 2nd edition, 100% free. All you will need to do is bring your rulebook to your local retailer, they will stamp your first ed. book, and hand you this brand spanking new edition of the game...fer free. Yes, free. This is full color, on magazine grade stock, and fully ready to get you playing. It's 164 pages, all the rules, lots of art, photos, and...yes once again, full color. It even has an index. You will also be able to buy a full on hardcover right around Gencon...so that's where you can find your fluff, etc. Free. Yes, I said it again. Free.

Now, you have heard me rant on "devaluation of product" many, many times in the past. I should be mad about this one, right? Nope, quite the contrary. This little freebee is some of the finest marketing I have seen in ages within our "industry." These folks know they make all their dough on figures...so why not keep people playing the game? Hand them some rules, get them excited...boom. Everyone is happy.

These should be in your FLGS hand's 7/6/06. Serioulsy, if you feel inclined, give a nod to battlefront. This was a realy nice, and smart thing to do.

2 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Blogger Brian I said...

Totally. These guys understand that they make their money on minis, and not rules.

I was very impressed with the new freebie book. Very nicely done, small and portable. I'm jazzed that I'm getting a copy (1st ed owner).

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I will be at my FLGS on Thursday to pick up my copy and probably Afrika if they have it. It is crazy generous on Battlefront's part but kudos to them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home